[kaffe] build process

Arnaud Vandyck arnaud.vandyck at ulg.ac.be
Mon Jun 28 01:45:56 PDT 2004

Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> writes:

> Hallo Helmer,
>
> Helmer Krämer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> the attached patch modifies kaffe's build process a little bit,
>> so that it executes in roughly four steps:
>> * build kaffeh, libkaffevm, standard libtool -modules and kaffe
>>   executable
>> * build rt.jar
>> * build optional libtool -modules (like awt, sound, libxmlj)
>>   [including generation of required headers]
>> * relink kaffe executable using all libtool -modules
>>   [required for systems that can't dlopen libtool -modules]
>> Since the jni headers for the optional libtool -modules are
>> generated after rt.jar has been built, we no longer have to
>> include classes of optional packages in Klasses.jar.bootstrap.
>> If nobody has any objections, I'll check it in during next
>> week.
>
> Sounds like a very good idea to me.

Wow!

> I'd like to propose going even further:
>
> * check in generated JNI headers into CVS
> * replace kaffeh by suitably patched cp-tools javah
>
> That would allow us to cross-compile fine without requiring a freshly
> built kaffeh, and allow us to clean up some code in the core VM library
> that's currently being shared between kaffe and kaffeh.

Re-Wow!

When you'll commit this, I'll be working on a new kaffe package! I think
it'll save some time in debian packaging! ;-)

There also was a discussion with Jim Pick about moving the jni patch to
C doe so rt.jar would be build only on demand and I'll not have to patch
the java code. Any idea about how to achieve this? (add /usr/lib/jni to
the library path)

Thanks,
Cheers,

--
Arnaud Vandyck

< jaybonci> actually d-i stands for "divine intervention" ;)
		-- in #debian-devel