[kaffe] i18n patches for X AWT backend

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Mar 4 16:50:03 PST 2004

Konnichiwa Atsushi, Konnichiwa Ito, Nin how[1] John,

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> kaz> :> I found that Kaffe might not support i18n well, which is
> kaz> :> really bad for handling CJK. I did primitive patches on X AWT
> kaz> :> backend for i18n improvements.
>
> kaz> I also thought Kaffe's AWT not supporting i18n was a big problem.
> kaz> Thank you for your patches, and I am testing them.
>
> kaz> My test program still does not show Japanese texts and I think I
> kaz> must do more dirty things about font setting.
>
> Just for reference, I will post a patch I'm using for kaffe 1.1.3.
> With this patch I can display japanese font on Debian 3.0.
>
> The AWT i18n patch was posted to this ML a while ago.  I found a newer
> version in http://yamaguch.sytes.net/~tora/java/diary/kaffe.html
> (Japanese).  My patch is based on this one.  I think Jim Huang's patch
> is better than this.
>
> Note for my patch:
>
> 1. The patch includes changes for Defaults.java.  This change is for
>    Japanese.  I choose kochi-mincho font.
>
> 2. The patch includes changes for include/files.h and include/nets.h.
>    This hack is needed because strerror will return multibyte string
>    if setlocale was called.
>
> 3. IIRC, "-Duser.language=ja -Duser.region=JP -Dfile.encoding=EUC_JP"
>    is needed when compiling java source which contains native strings.

Now I am puzzled what to check in ;) I'd propose to check in Jim's
patch, and then to adapt and work in your fixes for font display using
Jim's code as the start. Does everyone agree?

[1] Says
http://www.asiarooms.com/taiwan-travel-guide/essential_terms.html for
Hello (daytime).