[kaffe] Kaffe for AMD64

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Mar 5 05:03:02 PST 2004

Hi Marc,

thank you very much for your generous offer, and sorry for the delay. I
think I somehow managed to accidently delete your reply from my Inbox,
that's why I didn't get back to you. I'm glad to see the offer extended
to other Kaffe developers.

I've just applied to the site for access, since I'd love to see if kaffe
still works on amd64, what the compiler thinks about our code, and if
there are any fixes necessary ;) In particular, I'd like to see kaffe
work on all platforms it has been ported to, and stay working on them.

Kaffe has been ported to AMD64 by Gwenole Beauchesne from MandrakeSoft,
another Kaffe developer, in the interpreter mode only, afaik [1]. So it
would be interesting to try to port the jit engines to amd64 as well. I
doubt I'll be able to do that myself, due to my other duties on kaffe
needing my attention, but I'll be glad to help any volunteers to port
the jit get going with the kaffe codebase.

My personal amd64 developement would be in the area of fixing the port
if necessary, and cleaning up regressions, compilations problems, etc.

[1] See config/x86_64/ directory in the source, i.e.
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/config/x86_64/