[kaffe] Kaffe for AMD64

Gwenole Beauchesne gbeauchesne at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Mar 5 05:43:02 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> I've just applied to the site for access, since I'd love to see if kaffe
> still works on amd64, what the compiler thinks about our code, and if
> there are any fixes necessary ;) In particular, I'd like to see kaffe
> work on all platforms it has been ported to, and stay working on them.

Kaffe 1.1.4 still works on AMD64, at least with 3.3.2-6mdk. i.e. all
regression tests still pass but our current DateFormatTest problem, which
is not AMD64 related.

> Kaffe has been ported to AMD64 by Gwenole Beauchesne from MandrakeSoft,
> another Kaffe developer, in the interpreter mode only, afaik [1].

And AFAIK, as of 2002/08/15, Kaffe was the first native JVM working on
AMD64. ;-)

> So it would be interesting to try to port the jit engines to amd64 as
> well.

I had started but I got diverted afterwards with other problems of the
distribution. If time permits it, I will have a look again for MDK 10.0.

I think the only tricky part is to get unwind info correctly. Backend
stuff (code generation) is rather simple and I already did that for other
projects that both of you know. ;-)

Bye,
Gwenole.