[kaffe] mipsel JIT3

Kevin D. Kissell kevink at mips.com
Sat Mar 6 16:51:02 PST 2004

> >> the correct fix is probobly to fix register.c to not assume that
> >> regno is an index into reginfo.
>
> Timothy> I'm hesitant to mess with the register allocator too much,
> Timothy> especially since it might break the other backends...

I have a very hard time believing that any backend could actually
*depend* on it being broken in this way.  And this behavior is,
I believe, relatively recent, dating from 1.1.0 (the 1.0.7/1.0.8 JIT3
was more than 90% functional for MIPS), and I didn't think that
much major back-end work has been done since.

> I think it should be easy (FLW) to rework the register allocation
> without damaging the way register-sparse machines work by assuring
> that the behavior visible from those sides is the same. Besides, my
> current belief is that this is just the confusion between the
> SlotData.regno and kregs.regno.

Yeah, I noticed that name collision last night and wondered if it wasn't
causing trouble.  Frankly, if I were a maintainer, I'd take the time
to change one or the other to be "regnum" or some such.  It
could save many hours of maintenence time down the road...

            Kevin K.