[kaffe] Using RXTX with kaffe to manipulate serial ports

Trent Jarvi taj at www.linux.org.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:39:02 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Hi Marcos, Hello Trent,
>
> Marcos Lois Bermúdez wrote:
> > Hello, kaffe is great, i want to contribute to get kaffe working.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > I test it with SWT and work great, :), my problem is now RXTX lib, I
> > want migrate some Win32 terminals, to Linux, they are embedded system
> > based on ia32.
>
> I always wanted to merge RXTX in, since it is a very nice library, and
> may make sense to have in the embedded linux context as well. I'd like
> to have it as an implementation of javax.comm apis. I've worked with
> Trent Jarvi (CC:ed) briefly on it, but didn't have enought time to
> complete it [1], so it ended up on the big pile of things I wanted to do
> one fine day, given enough time.
>
> My old archive is at
> http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/kaffe-1.1.x-cvs-comm.tar.gz and it hasn't
> been updated in the last 9 months :(
>
> Now that Trent is part of the ClasspathX project, and RXTX is going to
> be contributed to Classpath, I hope we'll get rxtx running on kaffe.
>
> > I get some troubles to get RXTX working under kaffe, it's essential for
> > me, becouse i have some serial devices connected to other interfaces. I
> > test the RXTX 2.1-6 in Sun JDK and work good, but in kaffe i get some
> > extrange beaibor.
>
> 2.1-7 seems to be the latest stuff. I can try to merge that in, and then
> we may be able to debug that together, if you're interested.
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic
>
> [1] Which means I went silent, since I was busy with somethig else.
> Sorry about that, Trent.

The classpathx project is also merging rxtx.  Somehow we will get rxtx
into kaffe :)

What the classpathx project is doing is writing the wrapper classes like
kaffe has so rxtx is in javax.comm.    RXTX 2.0 will drop in under those
classes.  So It should be possible to do the same in kaffe or just use the
classpathx project.  Either direction would work for me.

I suspect there is a problem in rxtx that will need attention.  I stored
pointers to java variables and methods in rxtx.  Some jvm's have no
problem with this.  But others (notably the bsd jre) blow up.  So I
suspect the native code will have to be reworked to get around this.

I have a patch that does ~1/2 of the changes.  I'd be happy to share it.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to finish it myself.

--
Trent Jarvi
taj at www.linux.org.uk