[kaffe] Using RXTX with kaffe to manipulate serial ports

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Mar 16 10:57:02 PST 2004

Hi Marcos, Hello Trent,

Marcos Lois Bermúdez wrote:
> Hello, kaffe is great, i want to contribute to get kaffe working.

Thanks!

> I test it with SWT and work great, :), my problem is now RXTX lib, I
> want migrate some Win32 terminals, to Linux, they are embedded system
> based on ia32.

I always wanted to merge RXTX in, since it is a very nice library, and
may make sense to have in the embedded linux context as well. I'd like
to have it as an implementation of javax.comm apis. I've worked with
Trent Jarvi (CC:ed) briefly on it, but didn't have enought time to
complete it [1], so it ended up on the big pile of things I wanted to do
one fine day, given enough time.

My old archive is at
http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/kaffe-1.1.x-cvs-comm.tar.gz and it hasn't
been updated in the last 9 months :(

Now that Trent is part of the ClasspathX project, and RXTX is going to
be contributed to Classpath, I hope we'll get rxtx running on kaffe.

> I get some troubles to get RXTX working under kaffe, it's essential for
> me, becouse i have some serial devices connected to other interfaces. I
> test the RXTX 2.1-6 in Sun JDK and work good, but in kaffe i get some
> extrange beaibor.

2.1-7 seems to be the latest stuff. I can try to merge that in, and then
we may be able to debug that together, if you're interested.

[1] Which means I went silent, since I was busy with somethig else.
Sorry about that, Trent.