[kaffe] "Hall of Shame" suggestion

Stuart Ballard sballard at netreach.com
Wed Mar 31 09:43:01 PST 2004

I saw on the Kaffe website that there's a "Hall of Shame" section, which
is planned to include places where Kaffe performs particularly badly.

I can think of another use for such a page as well: Documenting
Free/Open Source applications that *actively* refuse to stop using
private sun.* and com.sun.* APIs and thus will never work (fully) on Kaffe.

Doing this would serve two useful purposes:
- Documenting the fact that it's not Kaffe's fault that this application
won't run, or doesn't have all its features working.
- Provide *bad* publicity for projects that do this - and therefore
provide some leverage to persuade the projects that they should change
their behavior. "You're in our hall of shame - we'll take you off if you
fix this". People unrelated to Kaffe might also see projects there and
independently exert pressure on the maintainers, too.

Thoughts?

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer