[kaffe] About iconv on non GNU boxen

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sat May 15 09:03:02 PDT 2004

Riccardo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sometime ago, after the big configure update, kaffe broke on several
> platforms (solaris 2.6, hpux es an example) because of a missing iconv
> initialization.
> The proper initialization was added if iconv was not present.
> But, I think, previously it worked.. This means that previously iconv
> got detected!

That's simple to check: check out kaffe from CVS from before the change,
  run the configure script, and see if it picks up iconv. Chances are
that it does :)

My move to use gettext to maintain the iconv.m4 and accociated files was
motivated by gettext (instead of libiconv) being the actual upstream of
the m4 files in question and the associated scripts. I'm quite positive
that it all works fine now. There were some problems due to some
replacement code making use of some unrelated gettext functionality when
that got detected, but these problems have been fixed for quite a while
now in the CVS as far as I know.

> A further step I had now: I am configuring and installing JIKES on HP-UX.
> Configure finds iconv as "native" (no extra files needed)....

What do you mean by 'no extra files needed' ?