[kaffe] Projects/sub-projects dependancies... Thoughts

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem.lavaux at free.fr
Sun May 16 04:13:02 PDT 2004

Helmer Krämer wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:32:39 +0200
> Guilhem Lavaux <guilhem.lavaux at free.fr> wrote:
>

>>There will be a slight performance loss for JIT
>>though: currently the JIT is putting the pointers to translated methods
>>directly in the vtable. To be compatible with intrp and other way of
>>handling methods we must put a pointer to Method.
>

> Why do we have to put a pointer to Method into the vtable to be
> compatible? Have you considered modifying intrp so it stores a

I was thinking of the most general approach. That way we could run
different engines at the same time. I admit I don't know what is the
result on xdebugging (I've forgotten that point); I expect it to be
pretty bad. To be able to put the bytecode in the vtable for intrp we
will have to change the virtualMachine prototype and introduce a few new
structures. For example, virtualMachine will need a bytecode descriptor
to execute using the interface described by another Method:
virtualMachine(Method *meth, Bytecode *bytecode, ...)

runVirtualMachine will become:
runVirtualMachine(Bytecode *bytecode, ...)

In the case we want only one engine at a time, your solution may work
though the question of the common interface is still here.

Regards,
Guilhem.