[kaffe] Bug Report: problems running Apple's RAID_Admin.jar: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java/awt/EventQueue.invokeLater

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Nov 12 22:04:46 PST 2004

Apples Xserve RAID administration utility almost starts up on
NetBSD/alpha-1.6.2 with Kaffe-1.1.4 (if I first install libawt.so as well
as swing-1.1.1 and then set CLASSPATH to point at all of Swing's *.jar
files as well as the main Kaffe classes.zip file, sort of in the same
way as one of the Swing demo "runnit" scripts suggests):

CLASSPATH=/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/beaninfo.jar:/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/mac.jar:/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/motif.jar:/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/multi.jar:/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/swing.jar:/usr/pkg/lib/java/swing/windows.jar:FileChooserDemo.jar:/usr/pkg/java/kaffe/lib/classes.zip kaffe-java -jar RAID_Admin.jar

However RAID_Admin soon dies before even opening any window with this
error, suggesting maybe Kaffe's AWT is not quite a full implementation,
or at least the EventQueue class is incomplete or out-of-date:

warning: running 1.1 version of SwingUtilities
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java/awt/EventQueue.invokeLater(Ljava/lang/Runnable;)V
   at com.apple.xsr.Main.main (Main.java:124)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke0 (Method.java)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java:255)
   at kaffe.jar.ExecJarName.main (ExecJarName.java:67)
   at kaffe.jar.ExecJar.main (ExecJar.java:75)

I can't find any hint via google of this method in relation to Kaffe,
though.  I do find mention of this method having been added recently to
an implemention of this class as is supplied by a package called CHARVA.

Note the swing FileChooserDemo does seem to run (though it never
actually shows the chosen file, just "..."), as does the Notepad demo.
(I haven't tried anything else yet)

The Apple Xserve RAID admin tool can be downloaded from here:

	http://download.info.apple.com/Mac_OS_X/061-1159.20040318.Pplkf/RAIDAdmin1.3archive.zip

and there's a web page about it here:

	http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/xserveraidadmintools.html

I've seen it run just fine with the Linux Sun JRE 1.3 running on
NetBSD/i386 under linux binary emulation.  It sure would be cool to see
it run on NetBSD/alpha with Kaffe though -- one of my clients has an
Xserve RAID attached to their Alpha running NetBSD....   ;-)

I'm no Java programmer by far, nor do I even have much experience
running Java applications (at least not without the JVM being embedded
in a commercial web browser), so please do let me know if you think I've
screwed up something somehow.

Note I'm not subscribed to the list -- just trying to follow the
instructions for bug reporting on the kaffe.org web pages.

BTW, the NetBSD "configure" problem mentioned in the bugs FAQ is really
trivial to solve....  Just set $lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len in the environment
when running configure to the value of "/sbin/sysctl -n kern.argmax".
Note this is now automatically done by NetBSD's pgksrc system for all
packages, and it's been done in a portable way for all the types of host
operating systems NetBSD's pkgsrc now supports.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>          Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>