[kaffe] Sun on Red Hat & Java

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Nov 25 17:43:24 PST 2004

rob at kaffe.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thought you might find this interview with Sun's Jonathan Schwartz
> interesting:
>
> "We asked about his thoughts on Red Hat re-implementing the Java platform
> from scratch and the implications that would have for Sun. He believes
> that there is no danger of Red Hat going very far within the Enterprise
> with this new project because of several reasons, including the fact that
> it would be a "tough sell" for established customers of the Java platform
> including Samsung, Nokia and Google. In fact, he fears that IBM is the one
> that would have the most trouble from the whole Red Hat-Java deal, because
> as they use Red Hat for their POWER projects, using a non-certified Java
> version could create potential runtime problems." [1]
>
> Non-certified...pah!  :)

In a real interview, you'd be able to see the actual questions and
replies as they were made, not a third person summary. ;)

It's going to be fun to watch how hard a sell it will be when JOnAS is
both J2EE 1.4 certified and runs well on GNU Classpath via gcj, for
example, and on top of that is in every major linux distro. ;)