[kaffe] Bug for cross-compilation

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Sep 17 01:34:47 PDT 2004

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,

Hi Kiyo,

> The '--with-gjdoc' option is good to specify whether we want to include
> gjdoc compiled class into rt.jar or not. But I'm afraid whether this is
> the way to go when one specifies '--with-rt-jar' option. Semantically,
> these two options may have orthogonal meaning, and the later may be used
> to specify "please don't invoke kjc (or jikes) while building kaffe-bin".
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Mostly ;)

gjdoc classes reside in tools/gjdoc. They end up in their own gjdoc.jar.
  --with-rt-jar is there to help cross-compiling & bootstrapping.
--with-gjdoc is there because not everyone may need a javadoc
implementation. For example, debian ships gjdoc as a its own package.

gjdoc needs libxmlj. That library is currently not built by default, so
gjdoc should not be built by default either. So cleaning that up was a
part of the larger gmp-math & awt-implemenations, to only build the java
libraries that are needed.

I could change it to --enable-gjdoc, if that would make it clearer.