[kaffe] Detaching unix pthread

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Sep 22 10:19:11 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm currently using Kaffe in an application (VDR) to execute Java classes (MHP
applications). The application links to libkaffevm and starts the VM via JNI.
Additionally, it is heavily multithreaded. If kaffe is compiled with
unix-pthreads, accessing Java code and vice versa from any thread is working
beautifully since 1.1.4.

However, one question remains: As soon as a thread is attached, the default
segfault handler is replaced. This is very good in some places, but
undesirably in others (when kaffe is inactive).

Is it possible to switch the segfault handling on and off? I would assume
JNI's DetachThread to do that, but - looking at the source - it does nothing.

I have replaced the JNI abort handler, and could abort from there, and I could
come up with a workaround, I just would like to know if detaching the thread
would be feasible.

Marcel