[kaffe] java control of xen

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Apr 1 15:56:14 PST 2005

Adam Heath wrote:
> In an effort to push xen into more parts of the computing world, I am
> announcing the start of a brand new project here at Brainfood.
>
> Our plans are to port Xen to run *inside* a JVM(Kaffe), so that we can make
> use of the write-one-run-anywhere mantra.  The magic piece of code that will
> enable this is Mips2Java.
>
> Unfortunately, at this time, Xen does not yet run on mips.  So, we are looking
> for volunteers to port Xen to mips, so that then we can have Xen run under
> Kaffe, which will then let us run it on the final platform, mobile phones.

Sounds crazy.  It's got some hack value, I guess.  :-)

How about x86 to Java?  Here's a starting point:

http://emulin.netfort.gr.jp/

I bookmarked it a long time ago, and I'm mildly intrigued, but not
enough to actually try it out, I guess.

Of course, since you'd have to emulate the x86 platform anyways, I'm not
sure what running Xen on top of it provides...

I can't imagine anyway that it's going to be fast.  I'm imagining that
it would be like running Xen on Bochs, but much slower.  You'd have to
emulate physical memory and the MMU using garbage collection.

BTW -- I'm still working on moving the Kaffe server over to a Xen
session on my new server.  I'm a bit slow - I'll get it done someday. :-)

Cheers,

  - Jim