[kaffe] [Question]jike and kaffe

Michael Koch konqueror at gmx.de
Thu Apr 14 21:18:20 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:33:54AM +0100, neo anderson wrote:
> Hi,
> lately i try to install kaffe on my pc box,
> yet i found out one thing makes me confused.
> when "./configure" in the kaffe* folder, messages is
> as follow. why do we need jikes? isn't jike acting the
> same as kaffe (simply it's released via ibm)?
> therefore, if i need to use jike, why i have to use
> kaffe?
> i appreciate any suggestions, sincerely.
> jason

jikes is a java compiler. kaffe is in itself jave interpreter/jit.
kaffe provides a JDK like environment which includes a compiler.
As kaffe itself includes no compiler you can use jikes or kjc for this
task. During build time jikes is need to compile all the jave files
included in kaffe to bytecode.

Michael