[kaffe] [gump] utf8const.c

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Tue Jan 18 22:56:49 PST 2005

Helmer Krämer wrote:
> Guilhem Lavaux <guilhem at kaffe.org> wrote:
>

>>Helmer Krämer wrote:

>>>I'd think that the whole utfLockRoot thing is broken (you'd
>>>need one utfLockRoot per thread since it's perfectly legal
>>>for two threads to work on utf8 constants at the same time).
>>>However, I think we could just remove the utfLockRoot thing
>>>completely, couldn't we? Even if one of the allocations in
>>>utf8const.c triggers a garbage collection, the thread holding
>>>the utf8Lock will be resumed before the finaliser starts to
>>>free unreachable objects (at least with kaffe-gc). This means
>>>that we don't have to drop the lock before doing an allocation,
>>>which renders utf8LockRoot useless. Or I just overlooked
>>>something ...
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Helmer
>>
>>The problem is that utf constants are cached in a hash table. If two
>>strings are exactly equals then utf8const does not create a new
>>constant. I don't know if the approach is justified but this justifies
>>the use UTF locking as only one thread at a time should touch the
>>hashtable.
>

> Yeah, it's supposed to work pretty much like String.intern()
> works.
>

>>The assertion failure in itself is disturbing: it's like the
>>fast lock subsystem is not working properly as it lets at least two
>>threads running concurrently on that part of the code.
>

> UTFmalloc and UTFfree drop the utf8Lock before gc_malloc (or
> gc_free) and try to reacquire it afterwards. To do this, they
> use utfLockRoot to save the id of the thread holding the lock.
> So it looks like this is not working properly, but I'm also not
> sure whether we really need this:
>
> Dropping the lock before invoking gc_malloc / gc_free only
> makes sense if a deadlock might occur if a thread holds the
> utf8Lock and is suspended in gc_malloc or gc_free. The gc
> thread itself however, will never try to acquire the utf8Lock,
> as it only scans the memory but neither allocates nor frees
> utf8 constants. The only gc-related thread that might try to
> acquire the utf8Lock is the finaliser thread, but that one can't
> cause a deadlock as the thread that invoked gc_malloc/gc_free
> will already have been resumed when the finaliser thread is
> running.
>
> So I think we could use the normal lockStaticMutex/unlockStaticMutex
> functions to lock/unlock the utf8Lock and don't have to drop
> the utf8Lock during the calls to gc_malloc / gc_free (which
> means that we don't need the utfLockRoot variable any more).

Hi,

Yes. Maybe this will improve performance. However our problem will still
be there... There is another performance penalty I've seen in locks.c:
we are using KSEM(get) in getHeavyLock with a timeout. The timeout is
expected to be the only signal which will make the call exit. This is
unwise and we should have a mechanism to wake up one of the waiting
thread. BTW, there is maybe something wrong here because a KSEM(put) can
be caught by this KSEM(get) and not by the other one in slowLockMutex if
the threads (3 at least) are wrongly synchronized.

Regards,

Guilhem.