[kaffe] What is CALLTARGET_ALIGNMENT

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Wed Jan 19 12:21:54 PST 2005

Hi All,

While trying to find out whether we really need 'ALIGN_CODEPC' or not, I
noticed one macro which was only defined and used for jit.
The 'CALLTARGET_ALIGNMENT' macro is defined in kaffe/kaffevm/jit/machine.c
and used in finishInsnSequence for adjusting the size needed for
'methblock'. It is also mentioned in ChangeLog.2 and looks like this macro
helps to increase the speed of processing for some types of CPU (Pentium II).
If this is true, I am wondering why similar code is not employed in jit3,
and if this it not true, we can omit the code fragment in jit.

How do you think?

Kiyo