[kaffe] possible gpl violation in kjc.jar

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Jan 20 11:07:14 PST 2005

hi all,

I've just been made aware by a debian bug report[1] that by some mistake
the kjc.jar file unfortunately does not include the source code for kjc
which looks like a violation of the GPL, despite that the source code
for it (including Guilhem's and Ito's patches) is available from kaffe's
CVS module kjc. So I propose to go about fixing it by

a) removing kjc.jar from CVS in order to stop its distribution as it is
b1) ask copyright holders (DMS) of Kjc for explicit permission to
redistribute kjc again
b2) merge in kjc cvs module with our patches into kaffe's cvs module

Meanwhile, I'll fix the build system so that kaffe can only be built
using an external compiler (jikes) for now.

My plan is to build the whole class library first using an external
compiler, then to run kaffeh on it, and then to build the rest of the
VM. That would also allow us to get rid of Klasses.jar.bootstrap as well
as of kjc.jar. Kjc would still be Kaffe's compiler, though it would have
to be built by the external compiler first, instead of shipping a JAR file.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes. I unfortunately haven't
been aware of this issue earlier myself.