[kaffe] libjvm

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Jul 12 05:58:43 PDT 2005

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> does kaffe provide a sun compatible libjvm ?

Hi Enrico,

since the Kaffe project does not have access to the official
compatibility test suites from the JCP, it is hard to give a definite
answer: we don't know yet.

Anecdotal evidence from Debian and other distributions suggests that
Kaffe is compatible enough with Sun's VM to run a growing number of
current applications, but it also needs quite a bit of work in some
areas of the class library, like swing. If you are interested in helping
out on that, check out the GNU classpath project at www.classpath.org.

> I'd like to use kaffe with pljava on postgresql.

I'd recommend getting a current kaffe checkout from CVS and trying to go
through to see if you can build PL/J with it, and run its test suite (if
one exists). See
http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12950 for details.
Feel free to report bugs you encounter here, in case of problems with
the VM or to the GNU classpath bug tracker in case of class library
problems.