[kaffe] Getting 1.1.5 running on OpenBSD 3.7

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 13:20:51 PDT 2005

Thanks for the tip, Dalibor.  Here's the news:

First, various dependencies need to be installed,
mainly gtk2+ and zip.  I got those using the plain old
OpenBSD package system.

Second, the configure script has a hard time finding
some libraries.  I couldn't get it to find gmp, and it
also could never find esd.h, even though those were
right there in /usr/local.  I even tried
--with-esd=/usr/local and that didn't help.  It would
get through configure but when it was compiling the
sound, it bonked out.  I'm sure this is a simple
problem.  If anyone makes a patch for this, let me
know and I'll try it.

Third, for whatever reason, jikes bonked with an
out-of-memory error when compiling rt.jar.  I cranked
it up to 7gb of swap, which should be enough.  I am
running this on a clunky old Pentium II so maybe that
architecture is not letting it use all that swap.  Not
sure.  Maybe OpenBSD itself is having some bad
interaction with jikes.  gcc 4.0.1 also could not
compile, also because of an out-of-memory error, so
this may not be a Kaffe problem.  So following
Dalibor's suggestion, I picked up a ready-made rt.jar
and told configure to use it.

Fourth, the whole thing can only be built with Gnu
make, which I built from source.

So, finally, this is what I did for configure:

configure --enable-pure-java-math
--with-rt-jar=/home/hh/kaffe-1.1.5/rt.jar
--disable-sound

(this was after saving the rt.jar file into the kaffe
directory).

And it works!  I got a simple hello world class to run
easily.

I'm working on getting Tomcat running.  Tomcat 5.5
wants a Java 1.5 version.  Tomcat 5.0 needs to have a
JDK, not a JRE (presumably for compiling JSPs).  If
anyone has some quick tips on these I'll try them out.
 I'm also going to try some simple Swing apps.

I feel like I'm close to having OpenBSD as a viable
Java platform!

--- Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> wrote:

> Vacuum Joe wrote:
> > I'm trying to get Kaffe 1.1.5 running on OpenBSD
> 3.7.
>
> Oh, nice, openbsd!
>
> > Compiling classes from  @all.files

/home/hh/kaffe-1.1.5/libraries/javalib/lib/../gnu/classpath/Configuration.java