[kaffe] (Maybe Bug Report): kaffe-1.1.5: Garbage collector: threadData.jvmpiData not scanned for pointers

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Fri Jun 24 09:55:27 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am not a JVMPI expert but SetThreadLocalStorage is only there to
record that some pointer is affected to some thread. I am not sure this
must be walked by the GC as this may be a "weak" reference. The
documentation on sun's site is not clear on that point and would require
further testing to be sure of the semantic. By the way, it is not
advised generally to mark an unknown object. Marking an unknown value
can lead to crash (as when you mark you generally assume the value you
give is a real heap pointer). In kaffe you will see there is only one
place where you make "random" marking: the GC itself. And this is only
after having checked we have a real heap pointer.

Any JVMPI user around ?

Regards,

Guilhem.