[kaffe] public static method not found

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Mar 25 16:21:30 PST 2005

Am Samstag, den 26.03.2005, 00:38 +0100 schrieb Daniel Bonniot:
> Hi,

Salut Daniel,

merci for your bug report.

> Here is a simple testcase that fails with kaffe 2005-03-24 (Debian package
> PRECVS12):
>

> public class Test
> {
>    public static void main(String[] args)
>    {
>      gnu.bytecode.Type.reset();
>    }
> }
>

> package gnu.bytecode;
>
> public abstract class Type {
>
>    public static void reset()
>    {
>    }
> }
>

> $ jikes-classpath Test.java
> $ gij Test
> $ kaffe Test
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: gnu/bytecode/Type.reset()V
>     at Test.main (Test.java:5)

GNU bytecode has recently been merged in into Kaffe for the cp-tools
tasks in order to support javap task. It seems that this breaks things
for applications that rely on their own version of gnu bytecode.

I guess the right fix is to create a tools.jar, and move our version of
GNU bytecode over there, so that it doesn't get picked up by
applications.

That would require a few changes to the build system, though, so I'd
like to do that right after 1.1.5 comes out, as I'd like to get 1.1.5
out ASAP for Debian Sarge.