[kaffe] Curious Java Developer

Karl Trygve Kalleberg karltk at gentoo.org
Tue May 10 16:46:54 PDT 2005

Landon Blake wrote:

> (1) What is the best way to get started developing Java programs that are compatible
> with Kaffe's JVM?

Don't take my word as gospel on this, but from some informal testing on
the Gentoo collection of Java packages, it certainly seems that kaffe
works pretty well with 1.4 Java programs that do not require GUI.

Typically, the limiting factor is the Classpath library. As this
matures, you should be safe doing running any J2SE 1.4 (and eventually
1.5) program.

See http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html

(and similar pages exist for 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3)

> (3) Where do I learn more about virtual machines and how they work?

The book "Inside the Java Virtual Machine" by Bill Venners may be of
interest to you.

Selected chapters of the book are online at
http://www.artima.com/insidejvm/ed2/

Unfortunately, the real meat of the subject is not online.

-- Karl T