[kaffe] scaled image efficiency

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 07:49:29 PDT 2005

Hi,

> I'm testing Kaffe 1.1.6 on a MIPS processor (AU1100, 400MHz)
> and I noted the image refresh is very slow: 10-20 seconds to
> draw the image whenever I move another window over it!
>
> I traced the code, and I see that the time is wasted in
> initScaledImage function in file
> libraries/clib/awt/X/img.c, fundamentally in the rescaling code.
> (if I draw the image without scaling it the timing is very good)
>
> Anyone found such a problem? is it correct that initScaleImage
> is called whenever the image comes to foreground? is there
> a way to optimize the scaling, or not to call initScaleImage
> so frequently?
>
> The 10-20 seconds pause is not acceptable in the final program :-(

Was this with the GNU-Classpath AWT implementation (GTK based) or
Kaffe's own X11 based implementation?
Since there's a lot of ongoing work on Classpath's AWT I would
recommend using it in favour of the X-lib solution, although its
seriously under construction so from time to time things do not work
as they should ;-)

lg Clemens