[kaffe] Kaffe compilation with Nano-X awt interface (bug?)

Gianluca Moro giangiammy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 00:38:49 PDT 2005

Hi all,

first of all my thanks to Dalibor for his help
in compiling kaffe on a MIPS platfor with Nano-X.

I could compile and run kaffe-1.1.6 using the Nano-X
awt interface with Dalibor help.

The problem I found was a

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at java.awt.Toolkit.fntInitFont (Toolkit.java:native)

Looking at the code, it seems that the function which initializa
the fonts return an id (an integer, i think) while the nativeData
field is declared as Pointer.

I think that this gives the exception.

I checked kaffe-1.1.5 and I saw tha nativeData was declared as Ptr:
compiling kaffe-1.1.5 and followinf the same steps I followed for
1.1.6,
I got a runnable kaffe which gave no exceptions.

Do I missed something? there's a reason why that field type
was changed?

Anyway, now kaffe starts correctly, with no errors, but I
see no output on my LCD!!!!

My command line is:

nano-X & nanowm & /usr/local/kaffe/bin/kaffe
-Dkaffe.awt.nativelib=nanoxawt
-Xbootclasspath/p:/home/AMDgiammy/kaffeawt.jar Hello

I see nanowm background but nothing else.

if I start another program, for example nxterm, I see it
correctly on the LCD.

There some option to give to kaffe to specify the output screen?

many thanks
giammy

--
Gianluca Moro             Visit  http://ilpinguino.altervista.org/