[kaffe] 1.1.7-rc1

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Thu Jan 19 16:36:33 PST 2006

Hi Dalibor,

>> I am now checking this with several different CPU/OS right now.
>> (As you know, some machines take long long time to do that ;->)
>Thanks.

For the time being, regression against rc1 looks ok for both m68k/
linux or netbsd, and ia32/netbsd. Testing for sh3/linux (or possibly
netbsd) will be done after proc_self_maps modification.

>Instead of declaring manually ac_cv_file__proc_self_maps ourselves
>for different platforms in config.frag, I'd propose the following solution:
>I'll post a patch once I have it working for me :)

Of course if we can make more sofisticate solutions for that, I am
very happy. I'm looking forward about that.

>> P.S. And maybe, I will update 'FAQ.cross-compiling' for 'rt.jar' etc...
>thanks! I'll add a note about Dan Kegel's crosstools, I've found it to
>be useful for GNU/Linux crosscompiler builds for various CPU
>architectures.

My first intention is to update 'rt.jar' issue to reflect latest
situation, but then I noticed if our default class lib compilation
environment becomes to use jikes, we need not native kaffe for cross
compilation, which makes the document much simpler ;-)

Dan Kegel's crosstools description should be helpful for people who
are not so familiar with cross compiling. By the way, have you tried
to use these tools? As far as I am concerned, I prefer to build them
from scratch... Of course, for netbsd, I use cross compilation tools
supplied as default. I think this is another good reason why netbsd is
THE os for software developers ;-)

Kiyo