[kaffe] Build Kaffe for CDC

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Jul 20 17:02:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 15:39 +0800, Sakur.deagod at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,All:
>       Early times,I have rememberred that we could build kaffe on CDC
> devices ,then is  kaffe on CDC devices compliant with JSR 36/JSR 218? CDC 1.1
> (JSR218) is based on J2SE v1.4.2, I believe Kaffe could make that,am I right?
> Please share your opinions. So I could develop on CDC compliant platform
> based on Kaffe not Sun RI. Thanks.

Hi Sakur,

given that Sun does not make the test suites freely available for JSR
36/ JSR 218, it's hard to verifiably say how compliant Kaffe is with
those specifications. Kaffe uses the GNU Classpath [1] class library,
which implements most of J2SE 1.4.2 [2]. But it's hard to make a
verifiable statement of compatibility for J2SE 1.4.2, as well, since Sun
does not make the test suites freely available for that, either.

Anecdotal evidence from GNU Linux distributions suggests that Kaffe is
working fine for many applications and libraries written for J2SE 1.4.2,
in particular as long as you don't need full Swing support.

[1] http://www.classpath.org
[2] http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html