[kaffe] Build Kaffe for CDC

Sakur.deagod at gmail.com Sakur.deagod at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 00:59:52 PDT 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 08:02, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 15:39 +0800, Sakur.deagod at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,All:
> >       Early times,I have rememberred that we could build kaffe on CDC
> > devices ,then is  kaffe on CDC devices compliant with JSR 36/JSR 218? CDC
> > 1.1 (JSR218) is based on J2SE v1.4.2, I believe Kaffe could make that,am
> > I right? Please share your opinions. So I could develop on CDC compliant
> > platform based on Kaffe not Sun RI. Thanks.
>
> Hi Sakur,
>
> given that Sun does not make the test suites freely available for JSR
> 36/ JSR 218, it's hard to verifiably say how compliant Kaffe is with
> those specifications. Kaffe uses the GNU Classpath [1] class library,
> which implements most of J2SE 1.4.2 [2]. But it's hard to make a
> verifiable statement of compatibility for J2SE 1.4.2, as well, since Sun
> does not make the test suites freely available for that, either.
>
> Anecdotal evidence from GNU Linux distributions suggests that Kaffe is
> working fine for many applications and libraries written for J2SE 1.4.2,
> in particular as long as you don't need full Swing support.
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic
>
> [1] http://www.classpath.org
> [2] http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk14-classpath.html
Hi Dalibor:
	Thanks for your reply.
         I agree. As far as I see, Kaffe didn't release any thing related to
CLDC which was included in CDC .  But for j2se compatibility, I see the
result,which would definitely inspire many developers change to Kaffe.
        I don't know if we could run the whole OSGI framework on
Kaffe,OSGI+CDC(Kaffe?) would be an interesting field .

Cheers
Sakur