[kaffe] Re: NSAPI/ OJI/ Applet plugin

Philippe Laporte philippe.laporte at gatespacetelematics.com
Mon Mar 6 09:46:34 PST 2006

Hi,

Michael Koch wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:15:03PM +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
>

>>Some preliminary questions:
>>
>>- Why is the security not finished? No one seriously using this plugin
>>yet? Why not?
>>

>Because its a hell of lot of work to audit several hundred thousend
>lines of existing code in GNU classpath. RedHat has now some person
>working fulltime on the audit but it still needs much time.

Do you have a schedule/roadmap/timeline for this to be completed?

>>- Why non-gnu? Why not migrate to the classpath tree?
>>

>We are working on this and consider a merge when the security audit is
>done and some bugs are fixed and some really missing features are
>implemented.

What are these really missing features and how essential are they?

>>- How many browser to Java APIs are there all in all and what's their
>>stories?
>>

>ParseException: Can't understand the question.
>
>gcjwebplugin supports all browsers using the Gecko engine from Mozilla.
>
>Konqueror has its own applet framework which just needs a secure VM.
>Last I tried jamvm worked but I wouldnt use it in a productive
>environment yet as the audit is not done.

I didn't know OJI was depecrated. Haven't looked at the situation
extensively yet...

>>There is a good chance I will need a fully functional open-source OJI
>>plugin sometime soon.
>>

>As stated before OJI is deprecated and will be removed in the next major
>release of Mozilla. So we will hopefully never need a fully functional
>open-source OJI plugin.

It's all fine. I would be working in conjunction with the minimo guys
and they use the latest Gecko/Mozilla.

Thanks a lot,
Philippe