[kaffe] Re: NSAPI/ OJI/ Applet plugin

Michael Koch konqueror at gmx.de
Mon Mar 6 06:51:02 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:15:03PM +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
> Some preliminary questions:
>
> - Why is the security not finished? No one seriously using this plugin
> yet? Why not?

Because its a hell of lot of work to audit several hundred thousend
lines of existing code in GNU classpath. RedHat has now some person
working fulltime on the audit but it still needs much time.

> - Why non-gnu? Why not migrate to the classpath tree?

We are working on this and consider a merge when the security audit is
done and some bugs are fixed and some really missing features are
implemented.

> - How many browser to Java APIs are there all in all and what's their
> stories?

ParseException: Can't understand the question.

gcjwebplugin supports all browsers using the Gecko engine from Mozilla.

Konqueror has its own applet framework which just needs a secure VM.
Last I tried jamvm worked but I wouldnt use it in a productive
environment yet as the audit is not done.

> There is a good chance I will need a fully functional open-source OJI
> plugin sometime soon.

As stated before OJI is deprecated and will be removed in the next major
release of Mozilla. So we will hopefully never need a fully functional
open-source OJI plugin.

Cheers,
Michael