[kaffe] Seg Fault on Embedded System

Kevin DeVries kevin at verticalpower.com
Fri Sep 29 15:49:50 PDT 2006

Lowdown: creating cross-compiled kaffe for embedded xscale (arm)
processor; running java/kaffe on target generates Seg Fault on simple
(any) java program

Kaffe version: 1.1.7

Host machine: x86-linux (2.4.32)

Target machine: arm-linux (2.6.17)

General process:

host%untar'ed kaffe-1.1.7

host%mkdir native

host%mkdir arm

host%cd native; make config; make; make install

<success>

host%cd arm

-host=arm-linux -build=i686-linux -disable-native-awt
-disable-xawt-xi18n -without-kaffe-qt-awt -disable-gtk-peer
-prefix=/opt/kaffe/arm -disable-sound

<success; 11th time is the charm>

host% make; make install

<success>

host% <copy server:/opt/kaffe/arm to target:/opt/kaffe/arm>

Hello.java:

public class Hello

{

  public static void main (String[] argv)

  {

     int i=1;         // I've even tried without this line

  }

}

host% javac Hello

host% <copy Hello.class to target>

target% java Hello

Segmentation Fault

target% java -v Hello

[compressed]

Segmentation Fault

host% java Hello

host% <no segv>

I've tried both a standard distribution of javac and the kaffe
distribution of javac and got the same results.

And I can (obviously) run a cross-compiled executable on my target.

Anything that I should take a look at? The only thing I can think of is
that it's not finding a library or that a library is out of sync. I
don't have a debugger on the target @ this time, so heading down that
path is do-able, just a lot of effort that I'm not ready for.

Thanks much,

Kevin DeVries

Vertical Power

317 Commercial St NW