[kaffe] Re: configure command with '-C' option

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Mon Apr 9 03:35:04 PDT 2007

Hi Dalibor,

Dalibor wrote:
>Kiyo Inaba wrote:
>> Anyway, I try to separate classpath build from the entire kaffe
>> build, and let you know when finish.
>>
>Great, thank you!

As I said earlier, I tried to make classpath compilation separated
from kaffe's main compilation. I tested this with i386/{netbsd, linux},
and m68k/{netbsd, linux} and all works (of course...).

Here's my step by step procedure, with kaffe (cvs-head) supplied
classpath witch is newer than classpath-0.93.

1) Get the cvs-head version of kaffe.
 If you don't have cvs access directly to kaffe.org, you can get it
 from ftp://ricohgwy.ricoh.co.jp/pub/Lang/Java/Kaffe as tar gzip'ed.
 Hereinafter, I assume you put it into the directory ~/kaffe-snap/

2) Modify root 'configure' script.
 Proper way is to modify 'configure.ac' and do autoconf but same effect
 for testing.

 Comment out the line
  subdirs="$subdirs libraries/javalib/external/classpath"

3) Modify 'Makefile.in' file in ~/kaffe-snap/libraries/javalib
 Remove 'external/classpath \' from the definition of SUBDIRS

4) Above two mods make entire configure and make not to invoke
   configuration in classpath.

5) Make target directory (hereinafter, I call it ~/kaffe-target/).
 In the target directory, do
  mkdir -p libraries/javalib/external/classpath

6) Do configure in classpath
 cd libraris/javalib/external/classpath
 ../../../../../kaffe-snap/libraries/javalib/external/classpath/configure \
  --prefix=/usr/local/kaffe \
  --enable-ltdl-convenience \
  --with-jikes=jikes \
  --disable-plugin \
  --with-vm=/usr/local/kaffe/bin/kaffe \
  --disable-examples \
  --with-glibj-dir=/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib \
  --with-native-libdir=/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/i386 \
  --with-fastjar=<path to fastjar> \
  --cache-file=/dev/null \
  --srcdir=../../../../../kaffe-snap/libraries/javalib/external/classpath

  Note: Some options for this configure may vary. Especially, you have
    to specify workable 'fastjar' in <path to fastjar>.

7) In the same directory do 'make'.

8) Going back to target directory (~/kaffe-target/) and do
  ../kaffe-snap/configure
    and
  make

9) Going to test direcroty (~/kaffe-target/test/regression) and do
  make check

That's all.

Kiyo
P.S. The next step what I will do separate completely classpath dir from
  kaffe and try the configure and make work.