[kaffe] Re: kaffe 1.1.8

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Aug 6 06:17:52 PDT 2007

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Especially, any active improvement for awt/xawt portion?

> D] Either fix the serialization bugs leading to the two failing
> regression tests, or mark them as XFAILs, and file bugs for it in GNU
> Classpath's tracker, adding the failing tests to Mauve
>    -> 2007-June/104957.html
>    The XFAIL part is now done.

Still to do.

> D] Merge in the dropped arm jit patch
>    -> 2007-May/104919.html (jit)
>    One remaining issue is 'md.h' needs macro '__KERNEL__' to be defined
>    for Linux newer than 2.6.9. How can we go for this?

#include <linux/version.h>

/* necessary because ... your explanation here */

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE > KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,9)
#define __KERNEL__
#endif /* LINUX_VERSION_CODE > KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,9) */

could you give it a try?

>    Except for this issue, jit works fine on QEMU.

great!

>    -> 2007-May/104933.html
>    Frederic reported 'illegal instructions'. I guess this is because
>    some arm ports does not have FPU nor FPU emulation. We may have to
>    write some FAQ titled 'You said ARM, but there are a lot of variants' ;-<

Yeah, that would be good. Could you write a short FAQ entry on jit on
arm & floating point while your memories are fresh?

>    -> 2007-July/105026.html (jit3)
>    Kiyo tested cvs version with QEMU and jit/jit3 works.

excellent, thank you very much.

> D] Merge in the dropped cygwin patch
>    -> 2007-June/104983.html
>    Classpath has been made on cygwin, still doing kaffe itself.

Still to do.

> D] Merge in the interix port
>    -> 2007-June/104957.html
>    Still todo.

Done.

> D] Remove the merged in fastjar and zlib and just use the jar tool on the
> system
>    -> 2007-June/104957.html
>    Done.
>
> D] Remove the merged in GNU Classpath and just use an existing installation
>    -> 2007-June/104975.html
>    Dalibor committed separately built classpath to be used.
>    Also, we decided to stay with Classpath 0.93 for 1.1.8.
>
> R] "fix it at best" of classpath so that swing/gtk peer runs

Done.

> R] a check that interprerter and jits are compiling and working on most
>  of "our" platforms
>    *** We have to update 'Platform Matrix' of relnotes. ***
>
> R] the fixes with our xawt if we still have time.
>
> K] Make arm/netbsd port work (only with intrp engine)
>    -> 2007-April/104905.html
>    Done.
>
> D] Merge in tbfg's m68k patch. Kiyo, could you take a look at it?
> http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2007-June/104949.html
>    -> 2007-June/104961.html
>    Partially committed, the rest should be merged after the 1.1.8
>    release. (To make coexistence with m68k, install uClinux for me)

Thanks for doing that.

> Kiyo
>
> P.S. By the way, the spill code fix is a good candidate for my
>      summer of code :-) The other candidate is of course, study
>      uClinux for coldfire (or ARM) port.

Both sound interesting. I think that a lot of people would appreciate a
fast jit on ARM, judging by the mailing list traffic. ;)