[kaffe] System.out.println

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Nov 21 06:47:16 PST 2007

Alexander Gromnizki wrote:
> Wed Nov 21 2007 13:06:01 +0900, Ito Kazumitsu wrote:
>
>> Alexander Gromnizki wrote
>>

>>> I've compiled kaffe-1.1.8 on FreeBSD 6.0 with tiny patch as described
>>> at <http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2007-June/104986.html>.
>>>
>> The patch which used to be in FAQ/FAQ.freebsd was incomplete.
>> Please do not use that workaround.  The bug fix is in
>> GNU Classpath 0.96.1.  I suggest you install GNU Classpath 0.96.1
>> first and then build kaffe using --with-system-classpath.
>>

> I did that and compliled Kaffe 1.1.9-pre from CVS. Oddity with
> System.out.println() has been fixed.
>
> Thank you!
>
> The only one thing I really don't like is a constraint to have already
> working JRE to build new Classpath with ecj.

You can should still be able to use jikes for the kaffes-specific code,
afaict. It works for me on
Ubuntu, at least, so I assume jikes does not hiccup 1.5-ish class files.
On the other hand, yeah,
for compiling GNU Classpath you need a 1.5 capable compiler, or you need
to use a prebuilt
glibj.zip file for that release. Unfortunately, other than ecj and
javac, I'm not aware of actively
maintained (and adequate for the task) free software Java 1.5 compilers,
and they are both
written in Java, so make little sense without either a JVM, or some
cross-compiler setup that
translates them to something else (native code, C, .NET code, etc.)