[kaffe] Kaffe (ARM Cross-Compile using GNU EABI)

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Feb 4 12:54:09 PST 2008

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,
>
>> For native builds in qemu, you can grab the armel debian image from
>> http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/qemu/ (user root pass debian, user test
>> pass test), build classpath 0.96.1 using a prebuilt glibj.zip (i.e.
>> http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/glibj.zip) as the memory QEmu can simulate
>> for arm(el) is maximally 256M, over that the kernel won't boot, and
>> using 'swap' on an emulated disk is a bit of performance overkill, I
>> think. See http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiHowto for how to grab a kernel
>> for qemu armel.
>
> Wow, amazing! Please keep it there. I am now playing with {Net,Free}BSD
> versions of arm, and no time to play with it right now...

Sure, I'm glad that it's of use to someone else, too. I plan to add
x86/x86_64 images of debian, and net/free/openbsd eventually, and to tie
them up into a small test rig, but meanwhile, I hope the images save
others time.

> As far as NetBSD is concerned, the emulator 'gxemul' supports NetBSD
> to be booted (with which I tested for kaffe-1.1.7) but unfortunately
> the 'gdb' program in this environment causes illegal instruction. I
> am now considering to purchase real board which can be used for NetBSD.

Sounds like fun. Which machine emulation / NetBSD port do you use in
gxemul to get there?