[kaffe] java/lang/StackOverflowError Problem

Arnaud Riess arnaud.riess at gmail.com
Mon May 5 08:23:07 PDT 2008

Hello,

I successfully cross-compiled Kaffe 1.1.6 for the ARM9 (kernel 2.6.24 gcc
4.1.2) architecture in order to use Tomcat. It took me several days but now
almost everything is OK! My only problem is taht I'm not able to run a
simple Hello World (Kaffe abort with a java/lang/StackOverflowError). I know
that there are other posts on the list but nothing helped me.

# java -classpath . HelloWorld
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/StackOverflowError
This error may occur because the stack size is not sufficient.
Try to increase the stack size using 'ulimit -s' or with the '-ss'
option on kaffe.
Aborted

# java -fullversion
java full version "kaffe-1.4.2"

kaffe VM "1.1.6"

Copyright (c) 1996-2005 Kaffe.org project contributors (please see
  the source code for a full list of contributors).  All rights reserved.
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2002 Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.

The Kaffe virtual machine is free software, licensed under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  Kaffe.org is a an independent, free
software
community project, not directly affiliated with Transvirtual Technologies,
Inc.  Kaffe is a Trademark of Transvirtual Technologies, Inc.  Kaffe comes
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Engine: Interpreter   Version: 1.1.6   Java Version: 1.4
Heap defaults: minimum size: 5 MB, maximum size: unlimited
Stack default size: 64 KB
Configuration/Compilation options:
)  Compile date     : Wed Apr 30 16:17:59 CEST 2008
  Compile host     : linux-ek0j
  Install prefix   : /usr/local/kaffe-arm
  Thread system    : unix-pthreads
  Garbage Collector: kaffe-gc
  CC               : arm-v4t-linux-gnueabi-gcc
  CFLAGS           : -g -O2 -Wall -W -Wextra -fsigned-char
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -pthread -DENABLE_BINRELOC
  LDFLAGS          :
  ChangeLog head   : 2005-09-20  Dalibor Topic  <robilad at kaffe.org>

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks a lot in advance,