[kaffe] avr32 port

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Wed May 7 23:38:16 PDT 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Nevo wrote:

>    There has been a crazy idea for me to  embed kaffe VM or phoneme CDC vm to
> Linux kernel as a separate module to speed up vm execution,so vm can directly
> access hardware. But you know,that should break up the role of JVM as a
> sandbox...... and we chould not prove the feasibility yet...

Yeah, don't think the kernel crowd would be particularly inspired by this
idea:-)

>    Now I saw your idea, I guess you mean JIT on AVR32 ?

Well, in "Java Technical Reference" from Atmel they call it "Java
Extension Module (JEM)".

> I've been as a JVM developer for mobile & CE devices. Maybe I would be
> glad to help you make you do a port to AVR32 ,but I am in China,the AVR
> board might not be easy to find in public market ..

That sounds very good! Now, after I've written my first email to the
kaffee ML, I found JamVM, which is smaller, and is already ported to
AVR32! In pure software mode, of course. So, I think, we could start with
that one. If you prefer kaffee, you are certainly most welcome to try to
port it over too! We anyway have ti first get it run in software mode,
before implementing hardware acceleration.

As for the hardware - as I said, as soon as I get the board, I can provide
an ssh login to it to you or any other interester parties. I could even
provide a serial console, if that will be needed too. I think, this should
be enough for the beginning.

Thanks
Guennadi
---