[kaffe] Kaffe 1.1.6 - early crash on MIPS architecture

Cantarini Fabio, IT fabio.cantarini at pirelli.com
Wed Jun 3 06:49:37 PDT 2009

Dear All,

I am new to running kaffe JVM on embedded system (linux 2.6 / MIPS).

I configured the following:

KAFFE_ENGINE=intrp
KAFFE_THREADS=unix-jthreads
KAFFE_GC=kaffe-gc

I compiled kaffe rel. 1.1.6 but encountered blocking issues:

1. The build fails in file pkg/kaffe/config/mips/sysdepCallMethod.h cause to unexpected definition of _MIPS_SIM.
    This fault statement is executed:

	#error "Calling convention not specified"

    I got a successfull compilation by commentig out the #error directive and including the o32-sysdepCallMethod.h.
    But please help about a proper solution for this.

2. running kaffe bin command on a test "Hello World" class always terminates with generic diagnostic like:

	Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
	Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.

    After inspecting the C code, I see that the problem is in the function initialiseSecurity() (kaffevm/classMethod.c).
    Here is created a java.security.Permissions object and an attempt is made to call the Java add() method on it

	do_execute_java_method(NULL, permissions, "add", "L(java/security/Permission;)V", NULL, 0, allPermission);

    but this aways fails by SIGSEGV.

Could someone please advise about getting a working kaffe JVM on MIPS ?

Thanks to all
Kind Regards

Fabio C.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments (if any) may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information and it is intended only for
the use of the addressee named above. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.

notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error,
please, delete it (and any copies of it) and kindly inform the sender, of this
e-mail, by replying or go to www.pirelli.com on "contact us".