ANNOUNCE: Kore v0.0.2 (Java core class libraries)

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 12:41:17 PST 1997

Kore v0.0.2 - an implementation of the Java(tm)* core class libraries

The latest release of Kore is at :

        ftp://sensei.co.uk/misc/kore-0.0.2.tar.gz

This version of Kore is work in progress. Virtually all non-native
functions in java.* are implemented, although some are fudged, and
many doubtless have bugs.

This release contains only the java.* classes in JDK 1.0.2. The other
classes remain unchanged from 0.0.1a.

This is basically a `comments please' release. If anything doesn't
work, it's probably because I either don't know what it should do or
it needs native methods.

A few things are still incomplete, (grep for `TODO'), notably
FontMetrics and GridBagLayout. Much of Float/Double/Math is not
bit-pattern compatible with Java.

George Morrison <gdm at csd.abdn.ac.uk>, who was maintaining kore, is too
busy at present and I have taken over from him.

Regarding native methods, the code doesn't use the existing native
methods, which are tailored specifically to Sun's classes.

The code relies on the classes NativeLang, NativeUtil, NativeIO,
NativeNet (in kaffe.system) having the required (static) native
methods. I suspect many of these methods could be obtained by simple
modification of existing code.

If anyone who's worked on the native code could have a look at these
classes and give me some feedback as to whether this is viable.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>

PS. It would have been nice to have had this done before JDK-1.1 was
finished :(

----

* Java is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.