kore 0.0.2

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Thu May 22 19:01:47 PDT 1997

tullmann at facility.cs.utah.edu wrote:

> Perhaps if each of the packages had its own native interface class,
> java.io will have NativeIO, java.net will have NativeNet, etc.  *and*
> duplicate interfaces as necessary.  So, both NativeIO and NativeNet
> will have fd_close() functions.  Its then up to the implementor of the
> native library to make sure these actually do exactly the same thing.
> Since ther'es no state associated with the Native* classes, they're
> just groupings for the native interfaces, it shouldn't be too hard.
> Some care will have to be taken on the part of the native lib writer,
> but this should solve the security problems (the Native classes can be
> package private), and should prevent adding hacks to Kaffe to
> artifically hide certain class names.

This seems like the least bad option.

> It is a bit of an ugly hack, though.

It's largely dictated by the fact that java.net is distinct from
java.io.

Maybe it's for Windoze compatibility. I've been told that Windoze
doesn't let you fprintf() to a TCP stream, but requires that you use
completely separate functions. I could have been told wrong though.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>