ServerSocket.accept()/scheduler bug (Kaffe 0.91 BSDI 3.1)

David Caldwell dpcaldwell at sherwin.com
Thu Feb 5 09:46:03 PST 1998

Subject: ServerSocket.accept()/scheduler bug (Kaffe 0.91 BSDI 3.1)
Author:  David Caldwell at TRANS_PO
Date:    2/5/98 8:48 AM

     Hello all.

     I tried to subscribe to the mailing list by sending a "subscribe"
     message to kaffe-request at tjwassoc.demon.co.uk, but I haven't heard
     back.  This message is being sent to kaffe at tjwassoc.demon.co.uk.

     PROBLEM

     After long examination, I believe I've found a Kaffe bug.  The method
     accept() of java.net.ServerSocket not only blocks when it is called,
     it will:

        (a)     ignore the SoTimeout parameter,

        (b)     never relinquish the CPU.

     My program runs fine on Sun's Windows 95 implementation, which has a
     pre-emptive scheduler.  Though I have not been able to test the
     program with a non-preemptive scheduler, I've done enough testing to
     decide that it -should- work on a non-pre-emptive scheduler, also.

     FAILED WORKAROUNDS

     I've tried a number of workarounds -- killing the thread, lowering its
     priority, etc.  You can't kill the thread because it's blocking and
     won't give any other thread the CPU for even one instruction.  No
     matter how low the thread's priority is, if it gets to the accept()
     call, it will hang there forever -- or until another socket connection
     is received.

     POTENTIAL WORKAROUND

     Because it will release when another connection is received, I could
     construct a workaround -if- there was a ServerSocket method which told
     whether there were any connections backlogged (analogous to the
     ready() method for InputStreams).  But I can't find any such method --
     so that's a Java question.

     ACTUAL (BUT UNTESTED, NATCH) WORKAROUND

     The other workaround (which I haven't tried -- but am counting on) is
     to start a SECOND virtual machine and have it (more or less)
     continually request socket connections with the first VM; then send
     something through the socket verifying that it's a "fake" connection,
     thus allowing the first VM to unblock and proceed.  Inelegant, but if
     you're desperate, it would probably work.  I'll follow up.

     NOTES

     I can't actually look at the source code because I don't control my
     own Kaffe distribution (my web hoster does).  Unless I want to
     download it locally, which I don't, at least for the moment.

     REPLY TO

     Also, I'm not sure that I'm actually subscribed to the mailing list
     (haven't received confirmation) so any replies should go to
     inonit at inonit.com.

     WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR

        (a)     Workaround, if possible.

        (b)     Less important would be a fix to the underlying problem.

     -- David.