Probably a stupid question

Artur Biesiadowski abies at pg.gda.pl
Thu Jan 15 08:16:02 PST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Ryan Sutter wrote:

> I know this is probably a dumb question, but I am just curious.  Does
> the classes.zip file included with Sun's JDK contain entirely pure Java
> .class files?  If so, would it be usable as a replacement for the
> classes.zip that comes with Kaffe?  I am assuming not, but I just wanted
> to know what (besides licensing) the issues were.

AFAIK kaffe classes.zip is exactly unix JDK classes.zip. So you can use
JDK classes (I do it that way - having JDK and kaffe both installed and
sharing classes.zip for both).
I don't think that you can use win32 classes.zip - there are thing like
Win32Process vs UnixProcess and sun.awt.win32 vs sun.awt.motif.

BTW I do have a proposal for scripts which will came with next version of
kaffe. If somebody have both JDK and kaffe installed scripts mess up -
javac, javap etc. I solved it by introducing JAVAI env variable equal to
kaffe or java and then using $JAVAI in scripts. With small check setting
this variable to kaffe if not defined it could work well.

Artur