Bugfixes and Corrections for Kaffe 1.0.b1 / trying to start SWING 1.0.3

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Fri Jul 24 15:32:26 PDT 1998

 Hi Wolfgang,

> a) java.util.Hashtable: calling clear() from inside the constructor is indeed a
> bug. But the functionality of clear() is not obsolete here, as stated by me.

 I don't want to make it even more confusing, but you were right.
Calling clear() was wrong *and* obsolete.  We can discuss that in
private email if you disagree (or if I'm wrong).

> b) java.util.ResourceBundle: after reading more about this class, I believe
> that the code in getBundle() is correct. Sorry. The real bug is inside
> getSpecificBundle(). I resolved this bug by using Class.isAssignableFrom()
> before I try to call Class.newInstance():

 Send a unified/context diff.  If possible, send a short test case with
deterministic output that runs fine with Sun's JDK, fails with Kaffe before
the fix and succeeds after your fix.

> Now, after all, I´m stuck in my tries to start SWING 1.0.3 with Kaffe. The
> error message is:
>
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: SimpleExample.<init>(LSimpleExample;)V
>         at SimpleExample.<init>(69)
>         at SimpleExample.main(141)
>
> What is this method signature? Anyone can help me? Can someone give me an email

The signature is a constructor for a SimpleExample object that takes
another SimpleExample, like so:

class SimpleExample
{
    SimpleExample(SimpleExample _) {}