GC failing under Redhat 5.1

Brian Burton brian at burton-computer.com
Thu Jul 16 06:45:34 PDT 1998

I have a server written entirely in Java that runs very nicely under
Sun's VM.  However, when I run it under kaffe it crashes with an
assertion thrown by the GC.  Here's the assertion output:

<GC: heap 49152K, total 2274970K, alloc 30748K, marked 3348K, freeing
2271621K>
Kaffe: ./mem/gc-mem.c:268: gc_heap_malloc: Assertion `mem->next == 0 ||
((uintp)mem->next >= (uintp)blk && (uintp)mem->next < (uintp)blk +
gc_pgsize)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I can email the core file to someone at TV on request. (It's 50 MB)

Prior to that the program runs quite slowly with far too much time
(apparently) spent in the GC.  I'd suggest the GC as the area that TV
ought to focus on in the short term.  Has kaffe been run under Purify?
Or even Sun's debugger on Solaris?  That might reveal some memory access
bugs or memory leaks.

I must say that I am very happy to see TV continuing to release under
the GPL,  And I intend to chip in and help out where I can.

Thanks,
++Brian

--
Brian Burton                        Custom Software Development
Burton Computer Corporation         Java, C++, Orbix, Tuxedo