jni for win32

peter at transvirtual.com peter at transvirtual.com
Sun Nov 15 18:45:41 PST 1998

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Godmar Back wrote:
>I haven't heard one way or the other whether JNI works on Cygwin32.
>Aside from bugs, there's no reason it shouldn't.  Possible problems might
>lie in the JNI functions that attach and detach native threads from the VM
>-- this is something we do not support.

Actually, I would be more than surprised if this works. Think of thread sync in
the event dispatcher thread (this is usually tightly coupled to the VM / thread
system in use).

The right way would be to use the Xlib AWT as a template to write a Win32 based
one (i.e. type-2: lightweight widgets). This really isn't too hard to do
(maybe 3 weeks), and I really would appreciate if somebody eventually would
help out with this.

-- Peter