Classpath and Kaffe

Aaron M. Renn arenn at urbanophile.com
Tue Jul 13 16:49:54 PDT 1999

Duncan W. McQueen (mcqueen at worldinter.net) wrote:
> But I am concerned with the GPL Kaffe.  Is it unfeasible to attempt a
> merge of what Classpath has done into Klasses.jar??

At this point there is not much reason to do that.  While I believe
we do have some things written that are not in Kaffe (principally
1.2 compatibility stuff) they have not been as actively used as
the Kaffe libs and are probably more buggy.  Also, we (Classpath)
are still focusing on providing a runtime environment for Japhar.
That is a higher priority than worrying about trying to make
things work with Kaffe.  Though at some point I'm sure we will make
our stuff run with Kaffe, for hack value if nothing else.  Finally,
Kaffe has things that work that we do not, notably the AWT (though
I'm working on that for Classpath).

Whatever the Kaffe people might want to use, however, they are
certainly free to include.

--
Aaron M. Renn (arenn at urbanophile.com) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/