file errors under win32-cygnus

Taura Kenjiro tau at is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Mar 1 09:08:05 PST 1999

 > A couple of problems with the kaffe build under Win32 (cygnus).
 > The configuration program in the current snapshot doen't recognise i386-cygnus
 > as a valid system, because the directory under config/i386 is still named
 > 'cygnus32', not 'cygnus'.
 >
 > I've configured kaffe with the following:
 > '--prefix=d:/Project/kaffe-build --with-engine=interpreter --with-gcblock=hash
 > --with-staticlib --with-staticvm'

I have a working port on cygwin32. My port is based on the snapshot as
of Feb 24. The following description may only work with that snapshot.
In particular, 1.0b3 is totally different.

(1) First of all, edit config.guess so that it returns i386-pc-cygwin32
								    ^^^^
instead of i386-pc-cygwin32.

(2) There are several places in source at which they think the
directory separator is '\' instead of ':'.  They are:

	include/system.h
	kaffe/kaffeh/support.c

Search 'PATHSEP' and fix them.

(3) I had a trouble with libtool. The configure tries to build shared
library, but make fails when it builds libnative.a.  At the moment, I
simply do this:

	configure --disable-shared ...

I hope it works for you. I also welcome an improved info for the above
problem (3). I do not know how things are supposed to work on cygwin.

As a general comment, it is very common that programs written MSWIN32
environments in mind assume that the directory separator is '\'. This
is not correct under cygwin32.