kaffe hungs (code attached)

Dimitris Vyzovitis poincare at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Mar 2 15:47:51 PST 1999

Godmar Back wrote:

> I did that already in the current CVS, as I said in my last mail.
> It should finish in about 21 seconds on your machine now.

Great!

> > In principal (at lest for normal applications), kaffe is at least as good as
> > sun's jdk (and I bet it will be better in the future, although blackdown does
> > really *good* job in porting).
> > A minor problem, is that it doesn't support some deprecated 1.1 features, which
> > breaks applications that rely on older code (e.g. from personal experience,
> > awt.TextArea.appendText is not supported).
> > The point is that we need to stress test it in every possible aspect, so that it
> > becomes the *best* vm available (OK, there is a long way to go) . The message is
> > make java really free, not sun's precious property ;-}
> >

> We are actually putting deprecated functions back in.
> This one should be easy enough; simply call append().

Well, this is perfectly simple to say, but I was actually referring to applications
that heavily rely on deprecated code. Spotting every single call is not that easy in
the case (but it was fairly easy in my case).

At any rate, deprecated methods are good to keep for backwards compatibility.

> As far as compilers producing Java bytecode go, Sun's javac is your best
> bet from my experience at this point.

In my experience, jikes produces slightly faster code (but this is not global) - plus
you don't have to wait for ages to do a    make...

Dimitris