[Kaffe] javac compiler shipped with kaffe fails to compile this!

Weyrich Computing Consulting weyrich at goodnet.com
Mon Mar 13 14:35:14 PST 2000

Uh -- aren't child classen restricted to throwing some subset of the
exceptions their parent class throws?  If that is the case, then isn't
your example code broken, not the compiler?

orville.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Mo DeJong wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:02:20 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mo DeJong <mdejong at cygnus.com>
> To: kaffe at rufus.w3.org
> Subject: [Kaffe] javac compiler shipped with kaffe fails to compile this!
>

> Hi all.
>
> I just noticed that the javac compiler shipped with Kaffe is badly broken.
> It will not compile the following class. I never noticed this before
> because I always use jikes, but I would like to see Kaffe work
> "out of the box" without forcing the user download jikes. This code
> is perfectly legal, the javac compiler shipped with kaffe incorrectly
> rejects it.
>

> abstract class Inherit {
>   abstract void foo() throws ClassNotFoundException;
> }
>
> public class InheritOverideException extends Inherit {
>   void foo() throws ClassNotFoundException, SecurityException {}
> }
>

> Is this the right place to send compiler problem reports?
>
> Mo Dejong
> Red Hat Inc.

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                 Weyrich Computer Consulting
mailto:orville at weyrich.com     KD7HJV        http://www.weyrich.com
Visit our online collection of book reviews:

		  http://www.weyrich.com/book_reviews/

Ask about our world wide web services!